in this issue

If the country where the principal is located is not a member of the Hague Convention or has not subscribed to the convention of 5 October 1961, the principals may go to a duly appointed notary public in that country.

The notary will attach a Certificate of Acknowledgment which must be authenticated by a judge of a court of the country in which the acknowledgment was taken or a member, consul, vice–consular agent of the United States. The certification is most often referred to as a Certification of Authentication.

The certification must contain certain information and must be of a certain format, in order for the document to be accepted for recording and insuring purposes. The certificate is not a form a settlement agent would prepare or provide. If the foreign acknowledgment is not provided in English, a translation of the document will be required.

If the principal does not read and understand English, and the documents must be translated to them, then an Affidavit of Translator will be required to be signed by the interpreter and notarized by the duly appointed notary.



stop fraud! share
FNF Home